Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Healthcare

Well, I'd heard all sorts of things about the quality of mandated health coverage. Ranging from "It's just as good as in the US" to "you die while waiting to see a doctor" to "god hates government mandates".

I definitely didn't die while waiting. I signed up Friday morning with the local doctors' office, and was able to make an appointment to come in that afternoon. Both visits I waited about 15 minutes past my appointment time, which is pretty similar to the docs in the US, except they don't automatically have a nurse checking blood pressure and such, followed by another 15 minute wait.

My doctor speaks good english, at least in a medical setting, and seemed to know exactly what to do to check me out for pericarditis (and any lung problems while she was at it). I was given the all clear on that account, and she suggested that intercostal muscle soreness from the flu and a bit of coughing was making it a bit painful for me to breath normally. As a result I was compensating for that by breathing abnormally, and basically hyperventilating a bit, causing the excessive light-headedness. She suggested breathing "lower", which actually helped. Still having the usual asthma crud, but that's manageable.

She checked out my jaw pain a bit and decided it's probably muscular in origin. Told me to come back after the weekend if things haven't improved, or call their emergency line if needed. Well, the jaw pain didn't get better, so I went in for another appointment today. I could have gone in yesterday but would have to miss Dutch class and a final exam, so I opted to wait.

The doctor poked and prodded a bit more, ruling out teeth grinding, etc, and pinpointing the likely misbehaving muscle (the masseter) and prescribed a high dose of ibuprofen (advil) for 10 days, to be taken even if the pain seems to be getting better. And to make another appointment if it's still a problem. So I'm taking a pain killer and waiting for my chewing muscle to heal. And she also told me to avoid very hard foods.

The doctor's office is located on the south end of our neighborhood, and is in a small medical complex building. Downstairs is the doctors' office (4 doctors working each day on average, closed on the weekend), and an apothecary. Dutch apothecaries should not be confused with American drug stores - they only have drugs and medical paraphernalia in apothecaries. Upstairs is a dentist, and some other medical type offices. It looks like registering with a neighborhood doctors' office here requires living in the same neighborhood, unless that's impossible. So most people probably live within walking distance of a general practitioner, which is pretty awesome.

Picking up the drugs was also very easy. My doctor sent the order to the apothecary via computer, and I just walked across the hall and picked it up. It was so WEIRD not getting charged anything for it. I half expected to get tackled by (the non-existent) security personnel as I left, for not paying. Also no line waiting for the drugs, very fast. The employee I spoke to spoke "a bit" of English well enough for everything to go smoothly.

So in my experience, the Dutch health system works quite well for visiting a GP, both in quality and in speed. I've never been impressed with all the whining back home against government mandated healthcare, and I'm even less impressed now after seeing that a big chunk of it works just fine over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment