Thursday, January 13, 2011

Flu :-(

I gots it. I had it yesterday too, but I also had 2 of my midterms yesterday. I went to class anyhow, though it was made more exciting by my first bus arriving 7 minutes late, and my train leaving 2 minutes early. WTF.

I missed the train, but found another one going to central Amersfoort 15 minutes later. From there, I found a 2nd train going directly to central Utrecht. I ended up in a different part of the Utrecht train station, but tracked down the bus area, and managed to catch a bus and get to class only 15 minutes late. Fortunately the speaking exam was first, and we were doing it two people at a time. I arrived when the first pair was still in the class room taking the exam.

I think I did fairly well, given that our topic was "clothes shopping" versus easy stuff other people got like "talk about yourself" and "talk about your family." The writing was a lot easier than the speaking, and I finished with 10 minutes to spare after checking over my answers.

I'm skipping class today, on account of feeling like crap due to flu and the lovely asthma that always comes with it. The flu part isn't too horrible (yet?) but the asthma is pretty bad. I get exhausted from sitting upright for too long :-P Fortunately I have a nice couch to sprawl on while studying.

We went to 2 libraries on Saturday. The first (closer) one had a good selection of non-fiction for inburgerers, but the fiction was all angsty teenage emo crap. We chatted with the librarian, and she told us the more central Zonnehof branch had the biggest selection. So we went there, and that library is huuuge. A ton of novels for adults learning Dutch up on the 2nd floor (3rd floor if you're American). I only went through 1 of the 6 or so bins before finding three novels that looked good and declaring the mission a success.

I started reading the shortest of them, "Hittegolf" (Heatwave) by Rene Appel. It's 60 pages, but is written with nearly every sentence on it's own line (though organized into paragraphs), so would be about 30 pages if written in a normal format. It's based on a best-selling Dutch novel of the same name, but with very simple language and all in the present tense (except when people speak/think about the past). Present tense has the potential to be annoying, but it works very well in a mystery/thriller of few words ... it's actually pretty sexy. I don't understand all the words, but enough to understand what's happening at each point.

No comments:

Post a Comment