Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Inburgering Progress

Well, still no resident card. But Jan finally called IND and they said my card has been ready since Sept 9th, but the distributor hasn't gotten around to sending it to the Utrecht office for us to pick up. ETA: 4-8 weeks. Bureaucracy (in) action!

The call was triggered by another notification of an appointment with the local integration agency. The last one turned out to be largely pointless because they didn't want to proceed without my resident card, in case I was just pretending to be someone with the same name and face whose passport I'd stolen, for the devious purpose of getting integrated without being required to.

Jan then called the integration agency to let them know I'm still cardless for the foreseeable future. After much discussion, they called him back to say that bringing the acceptance letter would be sufficient, so we don't have to reschedule again and wait a couple more months.

So hopefully on Friday my Dutch abilities will be assessed and I'll be informed of where I can take classes suitable for my current Dutch abilities and past education level. Or they'll change their mind about letting me integrate before I get my resident card, and we'll get annoyed and go shopping while we're in the city center anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment